The Melrose Learning Trust is an inclusive multi-academy trust where we focus on the well-being and progress of every child in our schools and where all members of our trust community are of equal worth – we are fully committed to equality.
We believe that the Equality Act 2010 provides a framework to support our commitment to valuing diversity, tackling discrimination, promoting equality and fostering good relationships between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not. It also ensures that we continue to tackle issues of disadvantage and underachievement of different groups.
In this respect:
- We ensure that everyone in every one of our trust schools is treated fairly and with respect.
- We recognise that people have different needs and that treating people equally does not involve treating everyone in exactly the same way.
- We ensure that our schools are a safe place for everyone.
- We consult with people from different groups and involve them in our trust decision making.
- We recognise that extra support is needed for some pupils in our schools to help them achieve their full potential and be successful.
The trust also has a firm commitment to staff equality. The CEO and individual school headteachers ensure that all appointment panels and employment practices give due regard to equality, so that no one is discriminated against when it comes to employment, promotion or training opportunities.